Friday, 27 June 2008
ORANGE CHIFFON CAKE
115g cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
85ml warm orange juice or used sunquick mixed with warm water
Finely grated zest of 1.5 large orange (I omit this one)
5 egg yolks + 30g castor sugar + 1/4 tsp salt
5 egg whites + 50g castor sugar + 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
60ml corn oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Sieve flour and baking powder.
2. Use hand whisk to whisk egg yolk, 30g castor sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt until creamy and light in colour. Add in corn oil then warm orange juice.
3. Add in flour mixture into yolk mixture lightly. Add in orange zest.
4. Beat egg white with electric beater until big bubbles formed. Sprinkle in cream of tartar and beat until it is white in colour. Add in 50g sugar 3 times (a little at a time) and beat until stiff perks formed. About 8 - 10 minutes for 150w egg beater.
5. Pour 1/2 egg white into flour mixture in (3) and blend well.
6. Pour flour mixture into the rest of the egg white and blend well. Pour into an ungreased chiffon cake tin.
7. Bake at 175C for 45 minutes or until cooked.
8. Invert the cooked cake during cooling process.