Recipe By: Ginger Perkins
This moist, decadent cake is perfect for a party and uses basic ingredients that you're likely to have to hand. It's also vegan, though your guests will never know it!
* 550g (1 lb 5 oz) sifted plain flour
* 600g (1 lb 6 oz) caster sugar
* 75g (3 oz) good-quality cocoa powder
* 250ml (8 fl oz) vegetable oil /butter
* 700ml (1 pint 3½ fl oz) water
* 3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
* 1 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease and flour a 23x33cm baking tin. 2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, bikarbonat soda and salt. Add sugar and mix together.
3. Add oil, water and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
4. Pour into prepared baking tin. Bake for 1 hour or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.