Glorious Sponge Cake
"This is an old fashioned sponge cake with a lemon flavor."
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1) Separate the eggs. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar gradually. Add water, lemon extract and lemon rind. Beat in flour.
2) In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Then add cream of tartar and salt. Beat mixture until whites are stiff, but not until they are dry. Fold this whipped mixture into yolk mixture.
3) Pour batter into an ungreased 9 inch tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for one hour, or until done.
or this one
Hot Milk Sponge Cake
"A light and fluffy sponge cake."
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour and baking powder. Heat milk in a small saucepan until just boiling, then remove from heat and set aside.
2) Beat eggs until foamy, then add sugar. Continue beating on medium-high speed until thick and lemon colored. Add vanilla, reduce mixer speed to medium and add hot milk in a steady stream. Quickly beat in flour mixture.
3) Pour into a 10 inch tube pan. Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly tapped.